Sunday, November 8, 2009

Krakow!

It seems so long ago... I have to pull out my journal and remember what I wrote!

Krakow was an adventure for two reasons. I have heard a lot about eastern Europe. People go, and always have complimentary things to say... but they never truly describe what it's actually like! Now I know why... because there are no words to describe the love that is Poland.

Krakow just has this different FEELING to it. I knew I wasn't in western Europe anymore. And I loved the feeling! It's a combination or relaxation, contentment, take-it-easy, and still have fun-ness.

That doesn't make any sense whatsoever... but hopefully you will go there someday and know what I am talking about.

I knew that before I went the places I would see would be beautiful. They did not disappoint. The castle that overlooks the river, the largest main square in europe, the gorgeous chruch, Auschwitz, and so much more. We
had fun checking out the street performers, the flower markets, the souvenirs, the kebabs (YUM!!), and so much more.

Krakow was also an interesting missionary experience. We stayed at this awesome, fun, hoppin' hostel. We met people from all over, and it's so much fun to learn about their stories. Also, hostels are the source of all knowledge on travel. Seriously, you get the people that have been where you're going, and done what you're doing.

Anyway, Kat (the girl I went with) and I had interesting experiences. The hostel hosted a "Polish Vodka Tasting" night, and needless to say, the liquor flowed. Don't worry, nothing untoward
happened. We just sat and talked with the people as they drank. We got many questions about our own beliefs, and lots of offers for every type of drink imaginable. One of the guys, Jasper, said (in response to my religion), "You're the first Mormon I've ever met! Cheers to that luv!" Then he downs a shot of 40% vodka. Priceless.
Also, I had 2 people tel me that they became fans of Mormons on Facebook. Also priceless. Yay missionary experiences!

I could tell you more, show more pictures, but that's all narrative stuff. Try to imagine just what it feels like.
That's the best part of Krakow,and one thing I will always remember. It just felt so
different - in a marvelous, fantastic, amazing way.

Also, when you go, eat pirogi. You'll crave them for the rest of your life.

Gosh, I miss the Planty Gardens. I could sit in them and watch the world go by for the rest of my life.

(Gardens [which surround the city] are above)
(Funny, cute old ladies outside the church on Sunday, to the left. I want this to be me!)

2 comments:

  1. How awesome, luv!! But now I want the narative, okay?!?!? J/k

    love u

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like really good times and I can't wait to visit Poland. So flippin' happy you went, saw, and conquered (that may not be politically correct now that I read it out loud - shrug). Love you bunches!

    ReplyDelete