Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Is this how the rest of them feel??!!?!?!

I had an epiphany this semester. I feel like I have them often. Not because I'm a diligent thinker and come to these amazing discoveries, but because I'm incredibly ridiculous and I am force fed life lessons. Like bean sprouts. yuck.
Anyway, my epiphany. All throughout college I have taken the maximum amount of credit hours I was allowed to take. "If something is worth doing, it's worth doing till you can't do anything else" This was my motto for college life, apparently. On top of that I almost always worked 2+ jobs. I did have a good time, too! I worked like a dog, but amazingly, I had a whole lot of fun, and managed to stay sane (which is a really miracle). However, at the beginning of this semester, after I spent the first saturday of the semester on campus, for 13 hours, steadily doing homework..... I thought to myself that this is absolute madness. "If this is what the 1st saturday is like, then I am DOOMED! until april 25th." I thought. I decided to take it like a man, however, just suck it up and do it. What did it matter, anyway? I've done it before, I'll do it again. However, taking 18 credit hours your freshman year (remember those fluffy GE's....) you just can't take 4 senior level physics classes, one junior level math class, biology (well... i guess that's a little fluffy) work 3 jobs, and expect to survive.
Now I'm not complaining. It's amazing to be healthy enough to handle it all, and I am blessed with actually liking to work. But I was digging my own grave.
Something had to go.
Thus, (with a little inspiration and encouragement from my lovely parents) I dropped my optics class (farewell Tarzan!), and now I'm down to a measly 15 credit hours. I keep asking myself if this is what college was supposed to be like. I have a ridiculous amount of free time. Since school started, I have read at least 12 books. The last time that happened I was trying to see the end of high school.
So, here is some of my hard earned wisdom: Take a stupid break, treat yourself nice, and breeeeeeeathe. If you don't have to push yourself till you break, then don't do it.

quote for today (from one of the 12 books I read recently :) -

"What is love? 'Tis not hereafter;
Present mirth has present laughter;
What's to come is still unsure:
In delay there lies no plenty;
Then come kiss me sweet and twenty,
Youth's a stuff will not endure."
-Twelfth Night Act II Scene 3

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you "guys" need to come up here! I'm sure you miss us. Right?!

    You're silly. I found your blog because you posted a comment on our blog. DUH. For how brilliant you are... I'm surprised that that slipped by you. ;)

    ReplyDelete