Sunday, January 13, 2013

Sorry, Gaston

I don't know how you'll read this. There are no pictures!

So, week 1. It was exhausting.
I joked before I came that I would probably have to work 12 hour days and not get a real lunch break and have to be in a constant state of "gogogogogo".
Turns out it was no joke!
I do only work 11 hour days, but with an hour commute on each side, I feel like 13 hour days just aren't fun. But first weeks are always the hardest, so I'm trying to not be a downer here.
This week was a cycle of wake up, go to work, come home, sleep. That is precisely how this week went! It's like college all over again! Except without my dear friends to make me laugh.
But the work is fun and exciting and definitely more involved than I thought it would be. In my eternal endeavor to not judge too quickly, I am still gathering info on what to make of the job, but suffice it to say that I think I will really, really love it... as soon as I get used to it. Training always makes me feel stupid, and since I know I'm not, it's terribly frustrating.
On the bright side, the other interns are a lot of fun!
On the SUPER BRIGHT SIDE that french palace I work in? It's even prettier on the inside. So since I don't get breaks, I am forever contriving to be the person to run a document over to another office, just in an effort to see more of the building. When I was in Europe I despaired over the fact that America doesn't really seem to have a lot of fantastic buildings like Europe does, and lo and behold, I work in the only one the country DOES have. So, there you go.
My absolute favorite feature is the way different parts of the building have different doorknobs. I think that is funny. They are finely engraved brass knobs that have seals from different government departments. I try to not look like an idiot every time I enter a new office and bend down to examine the knob. I'm not really succeeding though.
On to week 2! (This is the week all the other interns start, so we have an official orientation. And I am supposed to help. With my own orientation. Talk about hit the ground running.)

No comments:

Post a Comment