Thursday, January 13, 2011

3.5 days of AWESOME!

This is what I wrote yesterday....


Today I assisted in an arrest. Yesterday I read informant letters. And on Monday I just tried really hard to stay awake all day.
It's been a busy 3.5 days since I arrived!
Note to self: allow more than one day to adjust to time change when engaging in international activities.

London is lovely. I'm so happy to be back, and I am really excited to be working in the Embassy. It's HUGE and fantastic.

I intended to write this fantastic post about what I've done and learned and all that jazz. But I find that I am so exhausted that I cannot really form coherent, much less interesting, sentences. Jet lag is my worst enemy right now. And terrorists.

I'll write about the arrest though, since that just happened, and it was the most interesting thing.
Some guy came into the embassy, and he's been living in the UK for a very long time - way past his visa allowance. He came to the US embassy to see if he could get a visa to 'visit' the US. When they ran his passport number, a little flag went up, and we (the Fraud Dept.) were informed. (His passport was also a fraudulent.)
Anyway, the visa dept cannot make arrests - actually, arrests can't really happen in or on the embassy. So we got to call the police, give them a picture and let them know who to arrest. The fun part was when I got to follow him out of the embassy with someone else from my deptartment and point him out to the police so that they could make the arrest. He was very calm (which I learned was common... no one really fights the police), and then they patted him down, cuffed him, and took him away.

I just reread that and realized it's very boring. There are other details that make the story interesting, but I'm not supposed to tell. Suffice it to say that working at the embassy is very, very interesting. I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe he'll come to SOTP in Draper, UT and I'll have to do testing on him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. cynthia. i think that was awesome. you are like jason bourne. and i miss you and i am wishing i was with you in london.

    ReplyDelete