Saturday, January 15, 2011

A typical day

This past week set a pattern which I hope doesn't change that much. It was an amazing first week.
4:15AM: Wake up WIDE AWAKE (i hope this changes...) and try to force myself back to sleep.
5:30AM: roll out of bed after lying there for an hour, unsuccessful at falling back asleep. Get ready for work.
6:05AM leave home for the train stop.
6:24AM get to the station just in time to catch the train to London.
7:14AM: get off the train at Waterloo East Station, and weave in and out of the crowd to catch the Jubilee westbound underground line.
7:34AM: get off the Jubilee line at the Bond Street stop, avoid all the peddlers, exit onto Oxford Street, walk to the embassy.
7:50AM: arrive at the embassy, pass the men with the big and scary guns, go through security, arrive at my desk.
8AM: check emails, respond, catch up on the world news. Try to feel well informed.
9AM: visa and passport checks start coming in, and throughout the day I am logging the info, looking up people, checking the authenticity of the documents, sitting in on interviews, going to meetings, briefings, and lectures, writing memos, networking, and trying to make a good impression.
3:30pm. This past week proved to be hilarious for my co-workers around this time... this is usually when I started to have to fight to stay awake. Friday was a success though! I made it through the whole day!
5PM: head home. Same thing... winding through crowds, dashing to make the trains in time, trying so hard to remember to keep to the LEFT side... pass on the RIGHT. Trying not to look like an idiot on the underground, trying to keep my head when I miss a connection, and trying to not kill slow walkers.
6:35PM: arrive at home in dear 'ol Tunbridge Wells. Have a lovely dinner. Visit and watch TV with the Bascoms. Do some reading, play piano etc. Write blog posts. Walk the dog. etc.
9PM: crash into bed. dead tired.
Lather, rinse, repeat.
11 more weeks!!! Life is very fun and exciting, you know. On weekends I expect it will be different. For instance, today we played around Tunbridge Wells (where I bought stamps) and took a trip to Costco (which is the same as in the states... in case you wondered), and walked Alfie, the dog... who is adorable and I love him. Tomorrow I'll go to London for church and to walk around the parks and perhaps go to a museum. We'll see. All in all... a very thrilling and busy (though I hate to use that word) week.

And in case you wondered if this post could get more boring, I've decided to end it. I promise more exciting things in the future. When I'm not tired, swearsies.

No comments:

Post a Comment